Many participants tell us that their VISIONS summers were life-changing. Indeed, after their summer many continue to make a difference in their home communities, and after that in their college communities. Every year we hear from and about VISIONS alumni. Here is an update on just a few folks we heard from this year who will be graduating or have graduated recently from college.
- Abigail Feldman (Virgin Gorda ‘94) volunteered in the cancer care unit at Johns Hopkins Hospital and has educated her peers on AIDS.
- Deena Goldwater (Tortola ‘94/Alaska ’95) has been in- volved in death penalty awareness and a project for 5th and 10th graders called “Literacy Through Photography.”
- Jon Hofmann (Montana ’94) tutored ESL students throughout college and led two spring break trips for Habitat for Humanity.Carl Horwitz (Alaska ’95, Dominican Republic ’96) has been a math tutor and a U of M pen pal to elementary school children.
- Jodie Kirshner (Montana ’93) graduated last year with a degree in Environmental Science and Public Policy. She has led outreach efforts as a peer counselor for a 24-hour crisis hotline devoted to eating disorders.
- Cofe Fiakpui (Dominican Republic ’93) organized an arts program for inner city Chicago youth and facilitated a workshop at a National Service Learning Conference. He is a Youth Leadership Specialist at Aspira/Project B.E.A.M. in the Bronx, NY.
- Juliana Stein (Tortola ’92) has led Habitat for Humanity teams and taught English as a Second Language in Provi- dence, RI.
- Erin Greenwood (Montana ’93) counseled peers for the Sexual Assault Recovery Services at the University of Montana.
- Duncan Levin (Montana ‘91 /Hungary ’92) was the coordi- nator of the Bronx Area Special Olympics and founded a monthly community service newspaper called, “Action.” He was active in the Yale Student Environmental Coalition until his graduation in 1997.
- Laura Mitchell (Montana ‘93/Virgin Gorda ‘94) has been an intern at Planned Parenthood and participated in an edu- cational immersion program in Sri Lanka.