Families who are applying for financial aid must submit a cover letter explaining their need and requested scholarship amount and their two most recent tax returns. Tax returns should be physically mailed or sent via WhatsApp to the VISIONS office rather than submitted via email. Please email the office your cover letter and scholarship request, and then use the link below to submit an application to the program of your choice. Note that the $50 application fee is waived for financial aid applicants.
If you have already submitted a standard application this year, you do not need to submit a separate financial aid application. Please just send the office your cover letter and tax returns to be considered for aid.
Many VISIONS participants—whether receiving financial aid or not—do fundraising for their summer program. Here are some tips and resources that we recommend for raising funds.
- Consider contacts in your community and what types of fundraisers they may respond to best. It will take some organizing and forethought, and it’s an opportunity to brainstorm with friends and family.
- Try targeting organizations with similar missions or philosophies. The Lions Club, Rotary, Jaycees, Junior League, church groups, even your school might be willing to lend a hand. Talk to your principal or guidance counselor, minister or rabbi, teachers, family friends. All communities are different and often there is assistance through a local organization for community service initiatives.
- Before you meet with a donor, familiarize yourself with the mission of their organization. How does it relate to VISIONS or to your own quest? Consider writing a letter stating your goal and how much assistance you need. Be prepared to describe VISIONS by reading our website, and perhaps printing some of the pages. Say why you want to do a VISIONS program, how you think you will benefit, and, through you, and how your participation might benefit your community.
- Go giftless on birthdays and holidays and instead ask for a contribution to your trip, request frequent flier mile donations, have a garage sale or bake sale, host a meal with food that is typical to your program site, create a letter writing campaign to ask relatives and friends for donations.
- Common online fundraising sites that our participants have used include: VolunteerForever, GoFundMe, YouCaring and Ambassadors Scholarship Foundation.